Do’s and Don’ts of Working With a Divorce Attorney
Updated: 2 days ago
When it comes to working with a divorce attorney, there are certain do's and don’ts that you should keep in mind. By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that your case goes as smoothly as possible.
– Do be honest with your attorney. It is important that you provide all relevant information about your marriage, assets, and children so that your attorney can best represent you.
– Do be respectful. Remember that your attorney is working hard to help you through this difficult time. Treat them with respect and courtesy.
– Do be prepared to discuss your goals for the divorce. What do you hope to achieve in terms of custody, child support, alimony, and property division? Having a clear idea of what you want will help your attorney fight for your interests.
– Do be prepared to compromise. While you may have certain goals in mind, it is important to be willing to compromise in order to reach a settlement. Your attorney can help you determine what is realistic and what is not.
– Don’t hide assets. If your spouse discovers that you have hidden assets, it could jeopardize your case.
– Don’t make any major life decisions without consulting your attorney first. This includes things like quitting your job, moving out of the family home, or selling property.
– Don’t try to represent yourself in court. Even if you have a basic understanding of family law, it is always best to leave the legal proceedings to a professional.
– Don’t withhold information. As mentioned above, it is important to be honest with your attorney. Withholding information will only hurt your case.
– Don’t make decisions based on emotion. It is important to think logically about the decisions you make during your divorce.
– Don’t badmouth your ex in front of your attorney. This will only make it more difficult for your attorney to work with them.
If you have any questions about working with a divorce attorney, be sure to consult with Meason Law Office. Our experienced team can help you every step of the way, from filing for divorce to finalizing the settlement. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Meason & Ramsey Law provides a professional experience for all our clients, helping them navigate their legal rights. Our focus is criminal law (felony and misdemeanors). We specialize in Criminal Law, Divorce and Family Law, Probate Law. We are currently accepting cases in Washington, Nowata and Osage counties. Meason & Ramsey Law has family lawyers, divorce lawyers, probate lawyers, criminal defense lawyers, DUI & DWI lawyers, co-counsel lawyers, family attorneys, divorce attorneys, probate attorneys, criminal defense attorneys, DUI & DWI attorneys and co-counsel attorneys. Marty Meason and Rodney D. Ramsey, Attorneys
Meason & Ramsey Law
515 Delaware Ave
Bartlesville, OK 74003